HVACWARE.COM

Forums > Topics > Reply

viceman1959@yahoo.com

1 post(s)
posted on 10/18/2007

I have a very old home (1846 Cornish Miners Cottage) located in S.W. Wisconsin. I have been repairing and restoring the home for several years and I am now getting ready to up-date the heating system (such as it is.) It is currently heated with a old Heil-Quaker natural gas vented heating stove model: RVFA-708-1 Serial #F13113 BTU/Hr = 22,000 min & 70,000 max. There is no crawl space under the house or way to duct a conventional furnace. The house is aprox. 780 sq ft. and is now moderately insulated. I am considering installation of a modern blue flame gas heater to take it's place but don't know what size (BTU) I will need. I have been looking at 30,000 BTU ventless models but don't know if that will be enough. Any information, thoughts or advise will be appreciated. You can e-mail me directly at...  viceman1959@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Tim

Replies [ post reply ]
brian@pacificgas.ca

31 post(s)
replied on 10/18/2007

G is right do not use a ventless, when putting products of combuction into living space - you should really understand what happens - the tighter the space the worse it is and 800 sq ft is not much space to dump venting into a breathing area and if the unit is not burning properly the CO content will be high - and then there is the moisure problem. Do anything But a ventless only two opinions so far - but let us know - Brian

garrett.garris@pse.com

27 post(s)
replied on 10/18/2007

dont go ventless.. Look for a free standing stove Nothing over 50,000 BTUH

viceman1959@yahoo.com

1 post(s)
replied on 10/19/2007

If not a ventless blue flame heater, what should I use? Where do I get one? What would the cost be?
A couple issues that come in to play are...
1.Money... the gas heaters at 30,000 BTU can be delivered here for about $250.00
2. A conventional furnace would have to go in my attic and be ducted down through the ceiling. That's very inefficient and much more expensive. There is not room under the house to run ducts. 
I don't want to come off like I'm arguing with you guys. I am not knowledgeable at all in this area and I admit it. However, the ventless blue flame heaters are cleared for household use in Wisconsin. They have automatic shutoffs if the oxygen level drops, and are considered very safe.
Can you tell me specifically...
Why I shouldn't use one.
What I should use instead.
Where I can buy this alternative and what's it will cost.
How to install the alternative when I can't run ducts under the house.
How many BTU's do I need.
Thanks,
Tim

All the comments are property of their posters.
Images, logos, content and data are copyright by HVACWARE.COM. All Rights Reserved.
HVACWARE.COM is not responsible or liability for any content.
CLICK Here for the Old HVACWARE Forum